Clients in the News – February
Avalon’s clients have some great ideas for shaking off those winter blues in February:
- The National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) celebrates Black History Month with a host of exciting events. Here are just a few: NBA Hall-of-Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar will discuss his book for young readers, Becoming Kareem: On and Off the Court, which describes his effort to establish his life’s purpose and identity. NMAAHC’s Sweet Home Café will host meet-and-greets with seven incredible chefs throughout the month. And the program Finding Common Ground—in conjunction with the National Museum of the American Indian—will focus on the complex and often fraught history of African Americans and Native Americans, and describe how their intertwined stories have become an essential part of our American identity. Check NMAAHC’s website for more information and to register for these and other popular events throughout February.
- We have the Maya culture to thank for chocolate, and the National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) to thank for teaching us all about this irresistible treat. Stop by the Museum in Washington, DC, the weekend of February 10 and 11 for Chocolate: From Blossom to Beverage, to learn about the science, art, and culture of chocolate; enjoy live music; and see chefs demonstrate their favorite chocolate recipes. Visit NMAI’s website for details.
- On Wednesday, February 7, visit the National Air and Space Museum for an evening of stargazing. Museum staff will be on hand to answer your questions about the planets, stars, and other objects visible through the powerful telescopes at the Phoebe Waterman Haas Public Observatory. And on February 10 at NASM’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia, celebrate Black History Month with African American Pioneers in Aviation and Space . Learn about the “Triple Nickles” smokejumpers and the Tuskegee Airmen of World War II; hear NASA astronaut Alvin Drew talk about his adventures aboard the International Space Station; and more. Activities begin at 10 am. Visit NASM’s website for more information on the stargazing and African American pioneers of aviation and space events.
- Forget everything you learned about sharks from watching Sharknado. Come to Member Night: Sharks & Rays at the Monterey Bay Aquarium to get the real facts about these fascinating sea creatures. On Saturday, February 24, MBA experts reveal the truth about these beautiful, mysterious, and often misunderstood animals. Visit MBA’s website for more information and to learn how to become a member of the Aquarium.
- You can register now for the Yellowstone Forever Institute’s 2018 Field Seminars in the spring, summer, and fall. These spectacular educational programs help participants enjoy, understand, and appreciate the wildlife, geology, and cultural history of the park. They’re sure to fill up fast, so visit Yellowstone Forever’s website now to learn more and reserve your spot.
- And while you’re planning ahead, mark your calendar for the intimate 10th annual Wine at Wolf Trap event at the Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts in Virginia on Saturday, March 3. An incomparable evening of hors d’oeuvres and cocktails, a silent auction, fine wine pairings, and a gourmet dinner, followed by music and dancing—all to benefit Wolf Trap’s arts and education programs. Visit Wolf Trap’s website for details and reservations.