The "They Called Him Trash" test package — featuring a heart-warming carrier photo of a healthy rescued calf — garnered a 1.69% response rate and 1,264 new Farm Sanctuary members compared to 997 (1.33%) acquired by the control package – a lift of more than 27% over an already successful package. The "Trash" test cost per donor was just $0.55 (the control cost $5.22/donor) – almost break-even!
Bottom line: remember that a fresh, winning prospecting idea may be hiding among your non-acquisition, non-direct mail material.
The National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) Calendar appeal was the perfect opportunity for testing multi-channel approaches to this multi-effort campaign. We mailed the appeal to a broad spectrum of 0-24 month donors and sustainers. An email went to 0-12 month members, and an e-renewal ask went to the 13+-month members in the renewal/lapsed cycle. Our touch point strategy included five reasons for contact:
- Vote for the cover image for the calendar – included ask to give an additional gift or renew (renewal required to receive the calendar mailing in July)
- Cover image winner announcement – included ask to give an additional gift or renew (renewal required to receive the calendar mailing in July)
- Renewal ask – renew today to receive the calendar mailing in July
- Last chance – renew today to receive the calendar mailing in July
- Calendar – request for gift with calendar front-end premium
The e-appeal increased the average gift by 35%, the response rate by 366%, and the gross revenue by 549% from FY10 to FY11. The e-renewal revenue was up 279% over the previous year. The DM calendar appeal had the highest appeal response rate that fiscal year, and showed a 10% increase in response and 19% higher average gift over FY10. We exceeded budgeted net revenue by 60%. We don’t usually include NMAI’s sustainers in appeals, but this time we did, and their response at 9.91% (compared to 4.29% overall) proves that this strategy can be rewarding financially, by keeping them involved and educated on relevant issues.
Bottom line: truly integrated campaigns give all channels a boost and can give you an opportunity to reach out to audience segments you normally don’t.