- In order to cut down on expenses, the Postal Service is considering downsizing from 487 to fewer than 200 facilities nationwide;
- Although delays are not anticipated from this reduction, it will be important to carefully review mail schedules to ensure adequate time for delivery;
- Local first class mail could change from overnight to 2-3 day delivery. Cross-country mail would change to 3+ days;
- Despite the significant declines in first class mail leveling off, a postage rate increase is all but certain;
- Any changes will not be confirmed until 2012.
It was also interesting to note that the Postal Service is strongly advocating the use of QR codes on outer envelopes to further initiate interest in direct marketing pieces. Whether they will once again offer a promotion like last summer (where business mailers using a 2-D code received a 3% discount on standard and first class mail) remains to be seen!